Unfortunately, currently we only have the option to print whole pages. This can be a little frustrating as the original image is scaled down to print in your home printer (usually A4) so will make it quite tricky to read!
I have a few tips for you. . .
The best way to retrieve a readable copy of a particular article at the moment is to:
1. Rather than selecting ‘Print’, choose to ‘Download’ the newspaper page image from the viewer.
2. Once you have downloaded it, open in your preferred PDF viewer (don’t worry – the image should open automatically when you click on the downloaded file!)
3. You can then zoom in to your article (try 150 to 200%).
4. Once you have zoomed in, go to ‘Edit’, select ‘Take a snapshot’ and then select the area of the article that you wish to print/save. This will automatically ‘copy’ your selection. However, if you right click you can choose to print the selection.
5. Printing: Select ‘fit to page’, when your printer options pop up. This will then make the selection bigger (and readable!)
Hope this helps.
The British Newspaper Archive team