Did you know that you can save the stories you find at The British Newspaper Archive to your computer?
This step-by-step guide will explain how you can download a whole newspaper page and also how you can save individual articles or images. Watch this short video tutorial or follow the steps below:
How to save articles from The British Newspaper Archive
- Use the ‘Download’ option at the top of our image viewer to download a PDF of the whole newspaper page.
- Open the file and then click the disk icon at the bottom of the page to save it to your computer.
- To save a single article or image, go back to the image viewer. Click the ‘All Articles’ option on the left-hand side of the page to get rid of any highlighting.
- Use the bottom icon on the image viewer to make the newspaper fill your whole screen. You can then zoom and move the page to focus on what you want to save.
- If you’re using a Windows PC, your computer should have a ‘Snipping Tool’ installed on it. You can find it by opening your computer menu and searching for snipping tool.
If you’re using a Mac instead, you can use the ‘Grab’ tool which works in a similar way.
- Draw around the article or image you want to save. You can then click on the disk icon and save it to your computer as a JPEG file.