Posted on September 3rd, 2013 by The British Newspaper Archive

Edward Grieg, the Norwegian composer famous for composing the music for Ibsen’s Peer Gynt, died in Bergen on 4 September 1907 – he was 64.

To mark the day, here is a fascinating newspaper story that reports on Grieg’s death and also highlights the composer’s Scottish ancestry.

historical newspaper report on The Death of Edvard Grieg and His Scottish Ancestry

Evening Telegraph – Thursday 05 September 1907

Image © D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

The Graphic – Saturday 02 March 1889

Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Tags:

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 at 9:34 am and is filed under Headlines from History. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

7 Responses to “The Death of Edvard Grieg (4 September 1907), and a Summary of His Scottish Ancestry”

Agnes (Nan) SmithSeptember 22nd, 2013 at 7:37 am

As a regular concert goes and lover of Grieg’s music I was interested to read the article in The British Newspaper Archive regarding his Scottish ancestry. I too come from Scotland although I have lived most of my life in Australia.

Billy ForsythSeptember 22nd, 2013 at 4:29 pm

As Dance Director of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo I was asked to produce for the 2013 Tattoo a dance item to be called ‘Daybreak’. The obvious melody to commence the item, given his Scottish connections, was Grieg’s ‘Morning Mood’ from the Peer Gynt suite. Sitting beside me watching one of the performances was Aly Bain, the famous Shetland Fiddler, whose first comment on hearing the initial few bars of music for the dance was “you will know of course that Grieg’s family originally came from Aberdeenshire”. It was good to find through the British Newspaper Archive (linked from the Scotland’s People website) a little more detailed information on that history. Hopefully our short intro to the dance paid tribute from 50 Scottish Dancers to his backstory and genius in composing such a simple yet so memorable melody

Billy Forsyth

John james alexander greigSeptember 23rd, 2013 at 2:38 am

my father,William Kerr Greig,born in Sandhaven in 1898.came to Australia in 1925.Last year I went to Scotland
and found my father’s family.My aunt,here,told me years ago
that we had a connection with Grieg.Alexander is a family name.

John james alexander greigSeptember 23rd, 2013 at 2:44 am

My father,William Kerr Greig,born Sandhaven in 1898,came to
Australia in 1925.”Alexander” is a family christian name…dad’s
brother,one of his cousins at least.My aunt,here,told me years
ago that we had a family connection with E.Grieg.

The British Newspaper ArchiveSeptember 24th, 2013 at 5:06 pm

That’s great that you have an ancestral connection to Edvard Grieg – you’ll need to swap round the i and e in your surname! Regards, Grant.

The British Newspaper ArchiveSeptember 24th, 2013 at 5:08 pm

We’re glad you liked this article, Billy, and thanks for sharing the story about Aly Bain commenting on Edvard Grieg’s Aberdeenshire roots. Regards, Grant.

Leave a Response